Climate Change Pledges
To reduce your emissions further and to better prepare for climate change, pledge to do one or more of the following
- Learn more about your carbon emissions. There is much more you can do to reduce your household carbon emissions. Find out more about your emissions and where you can best reduce them by using an online “carbon calculator.” See the list maintained by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Commute by carpooling or using mass transit. Over a quarter of the vehicle-miles travelled by households are for commuting to and from work – usually with one person in the vehicle. Carpooling and mass transit are among options that offer big reductions in carbon emissions.
- Plan and combine trips. A lot of driving involves frequent trips nearby, to go shopping or run errands, for example. Plan and combine trips to reduce the miles you need to travel. Better yet, take someone with you so they can leave their car behind.
- Replace your vehicle with one with better mileage. For details go to http://www.greenercars.org/ or http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/Index.do
- Drive more efficiently. In particular, observe speed limits, avoid rapid acceleration and excessive breaking. Don’t drive aggressively.
- Switch to “green power.” Switch to electricity generated by energy sources with low – or no – routine emissions of carbon dioxide. Contact your electricity provider to find out about the “green power” options available to you.
- Insulate and seal your apartment or house. This will reduce emissions associated with both heating and cooling, two of the largest sources of residential carbon emissions.
- Replace older appliances with high-efficiency units
- Learn more about the potential impacts of climate change on your region.
- Learn more about potential weather-related emergencies in your area. Find out how you can reduce your vulnerability and how you can respond to each kind of emergency. Find out too about the plans government agencies may have in place.
Just something to thing about :)
Love your planet, love yourself.